Monday, April 30, 2012

A jersey skirt

I spent this weekend picking stitches. It was funny really (well not at the time) but it became my unofficial motto.

It all started with the idea to make a maxi dress out of 3 different shirts. Maxi dresses are really in right now, and I had this grand idea for a really cute striped version. I started Friday night and I clipped and sewed and measured and got my pieces ready to piece the next day. Saturday, I started piecing my maxi dress. It became increasingly obvious that the dress was going to be skin tight, but I pushed on because I refused to let my hard work go to waste. My husband stood in the hallway and said, "how are you going to squeeze into that??" Sigh.

Unpick unpick unpick.

Part of the pieced dress became a top, the other part would be a skirt. I tried on the top. The pieced parts just didn't look right.

Unpick unpick unpick.

I salvaged the parts I could and went to work making the bottom part into a skirt for myself. I tried it on. Too tight.

Unpick unpick unpick.

So, many hours, and many tries later, my maxi dress-shirt-skirt became a jersey dress for Haley. Here's Ms. Cheesypants modeling it.



You'd think one of these days I'd learn my lesson, or learn to buy a pattern. Stubborn me. It really is a cute skirt though, I'm thinking I might have to make a tutorial for this one soon. I'm definitely staying away from maxi dresses for awhile though :)


Haley pranced and twirled around outside in her new skirt as I snapped pictures with promises of coloring with sidewalk chalk.


   

Connor joined in too, but he had other ideas for the chalk. Everything automatically goes into this boy's mouth.


Even with all the stitch picking, it was still a nice relaxing weekend with no big plans It's nice to have those once in awhile.

3 comments:

  1. Bless your heart. I HATE unpicking!! But, hey, cute skirt!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always necessary to be flexible when you are sewing. The vision is rarely the reality ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so me! glad to see you could salvage. it's super cute!

    snickerdoodlestew@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails