Monday, January 23, 2012

Cupid's Arrow Chocolates



Target is a dangerous store. Not only do I love their clothes and home decor, but they also have an area at the front of the store with shelves full of inexpensive goodies and decorations for under $5. I'm not sure what they call it, but I refer to it as "the black hole" because I get sucked in right away every time I walk in. It's kind of like how grocery stores keep candy in the check out line because they KNOW you're too weak NOT to buy it. 

I just can't help myself.

I went to Target recently in an attempt to return something, and I was immediately drawn to the goody section. I was desperate attempting to tear myself away before spending all of my money on cute little robot thank you cards and Valentine's decorations, and then I spotted these:




They may not look like much, but these silicon ice cube molds were just begging to be used for a Valentine's craft. After all, Valentine's Day IS the day of love, but it is also the day of chocolate. And I'm totally down with a holiday that encourages me to eat as much chocolate as possible, so I made some Cupid's arrow chocolates.

Here's what you need to make some too.

Supplies:
  • Candy melts or chocolate chips
  • Silicon heart mold
  • Pretzel rods
  • Fruit Roll-Ups or other gummy candy

Melt your chocolate chips or candy melts according to the package directions. I prefer the double boiler method since it seems to melt the chocolate evenly without overcooking it. I don't have an actual double broiler,  so I just simmer (don't boil!)some water in a pot and place a glass bowl on top and melt my candy that way. It works great!

After your candy is melted, pour into your mold. Make sure you slightly overfill each cup.


Place a single pretzel rod on top of your chocolate at an angle as shown below and leave chocolate to cool.


While you're waiting for your chocolate to cool, use kitchen shears to cut out some hearts for the arrowheads and feathers for the tail from a Fruit Roll-Up. (In retrospect, I wish I would have used fruit leather or gummy candy for this part because they're a little thicker, but the fruit roll-up still worked fine.)


Once your chocolates have cooled, pop them out of the mold and admire your awesomeness.



Now, dab some of your melted chocolate on the ends of your pretzel rods and attach your fruit roll-up pieces.


And there you have it, cute little chocolates with Cupid's arrow through them.


Now give them to your Valentine! And if you're giving these to your man don't worry, while your guy might not appreciate the cuteness of the pretzel and Fruit Roll-up arrows, he will appreciate the fact that you're giving him food.


Check out my sidebar to see where I link up each week!

7 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I also bought those same trays at Target, but I talked myself out of it. Now I kind of wish I had gotten them:) Stopping by from Serenity Now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to add an arrow to heart shaped chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! What a great idea using the silicone trays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Now I will be on the hunt for fun trays so I can make my own.

    I came from the Make It Monday Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way too cute and tasty looking, too ;)
    Featuring you tomorrow!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever with the pretzel and fruit roll ups! I will be featuring this tomorrow on A Little Tipsy from Point of View LOVE link up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails